I'm spending a week in Kona. I'm relaxing at my aunt and uncle's property located at Keauhou Kona Surf & Racquet Club, an oceanfront complex on the Big Island of Hawaii. It has a great view of the golf course. It's also for sale, and for rent. Here's a link to the listing: http://www.alohaliving.com/RealEstate/PropertySearch/search.visient?mlsid=207052&x=51&y=17
It's a nice property to bring a large group to as it has 2 bedrooms plus a loft and the living room sofa has a bed, too. In the morning, well actually all day, I hear lots of birds chirping and see them flying around. It's very pretty to hear them.
I've gone running every day so far. I ran down Alii Drive along Kona's waterfront a couple times and today I ran in the opposite direction, headed south. The first evening I went running I saw a strange sight. A woman, who obviously came out of a Lexus as she stood near it with the door ajar, was feeding about 10 cats and 2 mongooses (mongeese, mongoose?) at a spot along Alii Drive near a park!
Today I also went to the Kahaluu Beach Park. It is famous for snorkeling. I never swam there before. It was really impressive. I saw all kinds of fish and two turtles while swimming. The waves were large and the current was strong, so even though I'm a lifelong swimmer, I decided I didn't want to stay in the water too long. I never like to swim unaccompanied in the ocean, but the lifeguards were around and many were snorkeling, so that's why I at least tried it out. I had entered on the south side of the beach park, and the current pushed me to the north side of the park, where there is a sandy beach. I got out and stood up, relieved, as I don't like to swim too close over rocks/reefs, it makes me nervous. I had seen in the distance a lot of surfers were out in the water.
As I swam toward shore, I also saw a large surfboard and what I thought were more guys getting ready to come in and surf. Once I stood up on the beach, however, I saw that something was wrong. Three lifeguards were peforming CPR on a man who was elderly and also appeared to be pretty overweight. It was a lifeguard's surfboard that I had seen in the distance on the beach, not just an average surfer's. Nearby, the man's daughter watched as the lifeguard's did CPR and kept saying "dad, stay with me." It was heartbreaking to see. Later the ambulance came. I do not know what happened to this man. He had been wearing only one fin when I saw him, so I wonder if he had been swimming and was pulled out of the ocean by lifeguards, or if perhaps he was trying to enter the water and had a heart attack. I don't know, but I hope this man is OK. I don't know if he was a visitor, but it is so sad when people get in to trouble when they are at the beach trying to enjoy themselves. It was odd to then walk away and see people who kept enjoying themselves at the beach park. They just were too far away and didn't even know what was going on. Hawaii is beautiful, but everyone needs to keep safety in mind, also.
No comments:
Post a Comment