Sunday, September 21, 2008

Kim's Tour of Macau

Please watch my slideshow. There's a lot of photos! Takes about 15 minutes to watch at pre-set speed, or you can click in and just select "view all" and then click on thumbnails to view a few. Or click on the arrow to go faster. Actually it runs automatically with "view all" and that one goes faster. I don't understand it, but seems that way. Read under slideshow for more info about my tour.



Last week David and I went to Macau again. We stayed at the new MGM Grand. I loved it! I loved it a lot more than the Venetian. It wasn't as crowded as at the Venetian and the style was more suited to me. Saturday, David had to golf, so after a nice buffet breakfast and then a swim in their awesome and large pool, I took a half day tour of Macau. I learned a lot! By the way, it's basic about Macau, but just to be clear for any of my readers who may not know, Macau is now a special adminstrative region of China, formerly a Portuguese colony for a few hundred years (like Hong Kong is a SAR formerly held by the British). Now Macau is the casino capital of Asia and has about 30 casinos. Construction is everywhere and more casinos are being built. Macau with over half million in population is the most densely populated city in the world, according to the South China Morning Post. Funny, it didn't seem that way to me, but the key word is density. I guess other places must have a lot of open park land or something to bring the density down. As I've said before, Macau is about an hour ferry ride from Hong Kong. There are 3 main parts of Macau, Macau peninsula, the island of Coloane and the island of Taipa. Bridges connect them. Now, through land relcamation, Coloane and Taipa are connected and you have the hot Cotai strip where the Venetian and the Four Seasons are located, and with more casinos to come. Sorry I'm so wordy and also didn't successfully cut out very many photos! Anyway, please enjoy the slideshow.

1 comment:

Our Journ-O said...

WOW, you have taken a lot of pictures! It's interesting to read about what you've learned as well. Love the room at the MGM too!!