Saturday, September 20, 2008

Facebook madness

OK, I've been meaning now for a few days to update my blog for anyone who cares to look at it. I have lots of nice photos I took in Macau last week (we went there again). I took a nice tour of Macau, but I've been thinking I should weed out some of the pics before posting, but I am slow at that. Every pic means something to me, but I don't want to bore of all of you. Anyway, I was thinking yesterday I would get around to finally updating my blog or doing something else productive like listen to the Cantonese CD the school gave us, or something like that (I think most of you know David and I have started taking Cantonese classes). However, I made the mistake of getting a Facebook account yesterday. And since then, it's been madness for hours on end. It is completely addictive! I had received numerous invitations to join Facebook in the past from friends, but always ignored it, thinking, 'why do I need to join this juvenile site?' or 'that's just not for me'. Well, I didn't really understand it, nor did I realize the genius of the creator. In fact, I just read an article about the Facebook founder in the South China Morning Post recently (was his name Mark Zuckerburg?). Shucks, anyway, fascinating story about how he maybe stole the concept or whatever, but in any case, it got me thinking more about the site, along with people (yes you, Jaime) who kept telling me I ought to join. Now as a user, I am amazed at how EASY it is to find so many people that you hadn't even thought of in years. At first I had a little confusion on how the photos worked and certain things, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

It is just madness. It is unnerving how much you can find out about your old friends, and instantly, or people you maybe were barely even friends with at all! I am starting to see now what the talk is all about. OK, so I am exhausted from the crazy Facebook madness of the past day and a half. I have nearly 70 "friends" in that time added to my site. So, on one hand, I would say, if you haven't done it, maybe try it because it's fascinating. But, I WARN you it is like a sickness to be on Facebook. Maybe some can control it....I certainly hope I can, but the initial high of it is like what I can only imagine some terrible drugs like ice might be like. Hopefully it's a lot more innocent and positive than that, but I'm freaked out at how much time has been sucked on it thus far. I need a break from it and the only thing to tear me away now is exhaustion and the need to go to sleep!

So, I hope to get you my Macau photos soon.

1 comment:

Our Journ-O said...

You're hilarious... we were cracking up reading about your Facebook addiction.