Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hong Kong Zoological & Botanical Gardens

Approximately one mile from our apartment in Hong Kong is a great patch of greenery and trees, the Hong Kong Zoological & Botanical Gardens, which has been open to the public since 1871. http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/parks/hkzbg/en/index.php.
David and I took a stroll through here yesterday late afternoon, although I have recently taken to the habit of running through here several times a week as part of my course for getting to Bowen Rd (running path). In going through the gardens, I realized I can avoid a lot of traffic lights.
David had never previously been through here, but whenever I passed the organgutans and as well as the fascinating birds, I knew I had to bring David here for him to enjoy. David actually has quite a thing for birds, and there all kinds of interesting ones here, including, signs in the park say, the Hawaiian nene! We looked for the nene but didn't see it, but took a picture of the sign.
The gardens offer relief from the city. Although right in the central/midlevels district, the almost 14 acres offers beautiful city views, fountains, varied plants and animals. It's a very good place to visit if one is ever in Hong Kong, and in quite a centralized location.


There are 20 species of bamboo at HKZBG.




Bird in the tree in photo above on the left is not a zoo exhibit, but David loves these birds. They fly near our apartment and David calls all of them Frank (I will write more about these birds some other time on this blog). David was thrilled to see Frank at the gardens.


The 3rd photo above on the right is of American Flamingos.







No comments: